Monday, February 2, 2015

Back to School! Hitting the Books in Midlife



While visiting my mother in a Florida hospital last month, I got to know the afternoon nurse over the course of my visit.  I was surprised to learn that she had been working as a nurse for only the better part of year.  She was in her mid-40's and this was her third career.  She started out as a cosmologist, and after 10 years, became a realtor.  When the housing industry crashed, she decided to go back to school and became a nurse.  She is very happy in her new career and now has a much better sense of security as she works towards retirement. 


As many of us approach the "midlife" turn, it is not uncommon to feel like your career is stale and you are getting lost in the shuffle, not advancing in the current job you are in, or maybe looking for a completely different direction to not only earn a living, but have a job that makes you happy as well as earn a paycheck.


I made the choice to return to school a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made.  I do not plan to completely change my career like my new nurse friend, but rather enhance the knowledge and experience I have gained from working in the continuing education environment for nearly 30 years.  I do not anticipate that the certificate I will receive will immediately increase my paycheck, but rather provide a wider range of opportunity for the environment I am currently in, as well as give me an edge when competing with new graduates for a position with a company that may be seeking the experience as well as the education.


But going back is scary!  Many things have changed in past 25 years.  Like Mickey Redman, announcer for the Red Wings, likes to say, "It is not the place for a nervous person!"  The student in 2015 has to be very comfortable with technology.  Many courses are exclusively offered online, so if you are not one to be tied to your computer for many hours during the week, or be able to work with the many tools both the internet and devices provide, this may create a challenge.   Also, it is expensive.  In addition to the per credit hour tuition of around $400 per credit, you need to factor in other costs like books, as well as the opportunity cost of your time where you could be making money somewhere else.   


For me, the benefits out way the costs.  Returning to school has given me a much stronger sense of confidence in the business world, and has sparked my interest to explore other opportunities that I can make more money, plan better for my retirement, and have more flexibility to enjoy other interests.  In other words, find a better balance of work and personal happiness.


If you are considering hitting the books again, here are some THINGS TO CONSIDER , as well as an inspirational story this article about SHARON.

4 comments:

  1. Your post is so close to home for me, too! I like the way you stress that it is not for the, what I like to call the faint of heart. It is a big investment, and after thirty years I will finally finish my journey this year. For me it is a personal accomplishment. What field to you see yourself pursuing after graduation?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the last paragraph sums up this post. The benefits do outweigh the costs. I myself work much more than full time, have two little kiddos to play with and help with their school work, and now going back to school? It's the sense of pride I'm getting as I get closer to finishing.

    This has definitely been trying but proving to myself and my kids that I can set goals and accomplish them is the real value to going back.

    Keep up the good work and never lose your inspiration for life!

    Best of Luck!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration! You should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete