Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bucket List Planning Before 50


Italy or Bust! 

The day my youngest daughter crossed the stage to receive her high school diploma was the day that I started planning my bucket list.   An emotional day it was, as I realized that everything that I had known for the past 20 years was about to change.  Raising my two kids was an amazing journey, one that I enjoyed every step of the way.  To wallow in self-pity that I was being left alone was an option…until the realization set in that now, after 20 years, I could focus on making things that I only dreamed of a reality.  This was a good feeling!  First thing on the bucket list was completing my education that I left hanging 20 years ago. It was terrifying showing up for that first night of class, and as I moved through the semester, I questioned if it was going to be worth the amount of time and money I was committing to it, in addition to the doubt that I was going to be able to be successful.   

Rome Colosseum. by Martha Bakerjian
As I finished up my first semester, I made a deal with myself that if I finished the degree before I turned 50, the next thing on the list would be a trip to Italy.   Graduation is scheduled for August 2015, which is when I will officially start planning for the two week trip of my dreams (see Italy Planning Travel Guide).  

It may seem extravagant to some, or irresponsible as retirement planning is an everyday concern as I try to manage on a single income.  But my thoughts are this….life is unpredictable.  There is no guarantee that the person I am today will be the person I may be tomorrow.  Many unexpected losses of friends and family members who left too young without a lot of warning provided the silver lining messages that were slapping me right in the face….  

Live in the Moment....Live Life to the Fullest...Embrace Those You Love...Everyday is a Blessing!

5 comments:

  1. I think that it is great that you went back to school after 20 years. I think that you should do whatever it is that you want to do before it's to late and going on a dream vacation is a great way to start living life to the fullest. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italy is AMAZING!! I went backpacking for a month there. The cities are so different from each other! I really loved Pompeii, Capri, Rome, Florence, and Venice! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is a very touching post. I am so happy that you can follow your heart and you are fulfilling your lifelong dreams now after raising two children. What an inspiring quote at the end as well! I hope you have a great time in Italy - I would always love to go there, as I have a lot of family in Milan I have never met. What a great example of setting goals and achieving them!! This only goes to prove you are NEVER too old to return to school and achieve your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I'm planning a very similar trip, it won't be for a while unfortunately. I am planning my graduation present to myself, which is after this semester, for after December. I plan on going overseas and just exploring! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete